Old furniture, records gutted in municipal corporation office

Old furniture and records of the Rajamahendravaram Municipal Corporation (RMC) were gutted in a fire, reportedly caused by electrical short-circuit, in the early hours of Friday. The incident took place in the administrative block of the RMC’s old building at about 4 a.m.

Municipal Commissioner V. Vijayarama Raju, Mayor Pantam Rajani Seshasai, MLA Akula Satyanarayana and MLC Adireddy Appa Rao inspected the block in the morning and estimated that the loss of furniture could be to the tune of ₹5 lakh.

Speaking to the media, the Commissioner said that all the records of the RMC were safe, as the entire data had already been computerised. “The computer hard discs of the records are in safe custody and the copies of the same are also available with the Director of Municipal Administration. People need not worry about the records,” Mr. Raju said. He said that the building watchman alerted the officials concerned immediately after noticing the fire and subsequently personnel from the Fire Services Department rushed to the spot and put out the fire.

Let's block ads! (Why?)